LAY HO MA everyone! This is one of the most popular and famous Chinese soups ever! Join me in this episode and learn how to make Chinese Vegan Hot Sour Soup! It is simpler than you think, and once you make it yourself, you will never order it again from Chinese take out! Let’s begin.
8 cups water
Drizzle of olive oil
4 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp chili powder or white pepper
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
2 tbsp ginger minced
2 tbsp garlic minced
1/2 cup black fungus rehydrated
1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms rehydrated
1/2 cup dried day lilies
1/2 cup firm tofu
1/2 cup bamboo shoots
3 tbsp potato starch (with 3 tbsp water to make slurry)
Green onion for garnish
1. Rehydrate the shiitake and black fungus in the 8 cups of water overnight
2. Mince the garlic and ginger
3. Slice the tofu into strips
4. Carefully remove the stalks from the shiitakes and slice thinly, along with the black fungus
5. In a stock pot on medium high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil
6. Add in the garlic and ginger. Cook till browned, then add in the 8 cups of reserved mushroom water
7. Add the rest of the ingredients minus the tofu, green onions, and potato starch
8. Give the soup a stir and make the slurry by combing 3 tbsp potato starch with 3 tbsp of water
9. Slowly pour the slurry into the soup while stirring
10. Add in the tofu and cook for another couple of minutes
11. Plate and garnish with fresh chopped green onions
If you enjoyed this episode and would love to see more, remember to like, comment, and subscribe so that you won’t miss a single episode!
Hong Kong born Canadian, Wil Yeung is an international photographer, filmmaker, entrepreneur, violinist, and YouTube chef. He immigrated to Canada when he was a young boy carrying with him his ability to speak Cantonese and some broken English. Much of his culinary aspirations stem from his background in the visual and musical art spaces. Whether you’re plant based or plant based curious, Wil believes that learning how to make food can really change your life and of those around you.
ORDER YOUR SIGNED VEGAN RAMEN COOKBOOK HERE:
STAY IN THE LOOP ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
Wil’s Recipes on Instagram: @mr_wilyeung
Wil’s Recipes on Facebook: fb.me/mrwilyeung
Wil’s Photography + Video on Instagram: @wyphotography.com
Wil’s Photography + Video on Facebook: wyphotography
You are watching:
View original video by clicking here.